Timeline of Center for Applied Rationality
This is a timeline of Center for Applied Rationality. Center for Applied Rationality (CFAR) is a nonprofit that organizes rationality workshops, with a focus on AI safety and existential risks.
|Time period||Development summary||More details|
|Year||Month and date||Event type||Details|
|2011||"Over the years, Yudkowsky found that people struggled to think clearly about A.I. risk and were often dismissive of it. In 2011, Salamon, who had been working at MIRI since 2008, volunteered to figure out how to overcome that problem."|
|2011 (summer)||A rationality minicamp takes place.|
|2011||July 18||The Articles of Incorporation for CFAR, at the time called the Feynman Foundation, are written. It would be approved on July 26.|
|2011||July 26||CFAR, at the time called the Feynman Foundation, is approved by the US Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.|
|2012||May 8||MIRI's April 2012 progress report is published, in which CFAR's name is announced. Until this point, CFAR was known as the "Rationality Group" or "Rationality Org".|
|2012||May 11–13||A rationality minicamp takes place.|
|2012||June 22–24||A rationality minicamp takes place.|
|2012||July 7||CFAR's Twitter account, CFARnews, is created.|
|2012||July 10||The CFAR Articles of Incorporation are amended to rename the corporation from "Feynman Foundation" to "Center For Applied Rationality".|
|2012||July 21–28||A rationality minicamp takes place.|
|2015||July 7–26||The CFAR-run MIRI Summer Fellows program 2015 takes place. This program is apparently "relatively successful at recruiting staff for MIRI".|
|2016||May||The Open Philanthropy Project awards a grant of $304,000 over two years to CFAR's Summer Program on Applied Rationality and Cognition (SPARC).|
|2016||July||The Open Philanthropy Project awards a grant of $1,035,000 over two years to CFAR.|
Meta information on the timeline
How the timeline was built
The initial version of the timeline was written by Issa Rice.
Funding information for this timeline is available.
What the timeline is still missing
Timeline update strategy
- Donation information and relevant documents list (including reviews of CFAR workshops) recorded on Vipul Naik's donations portal
Here's a review from a mentor named "Owen" https://mindlevelup.wordpress.com/2017/02/28/cfar-workshop-february-2017-review/ also https://mindlevelup.wordpress.com/2017/02/18/ontologies-and-operating-systems-post-cfar-1/ https://mindlevelup.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/post-cfar-workshop-compilation.pdf
- Jennifer Kahn (January 14, 2016). "The Happiness Code: A new approach to self-improvement is taking off in Silicon Valley: cold, hard rationality.". The New York Times. Retrieved July 12, 2017.
- Anna Salamon (March 29, 2012). "Minicamps on Rationality and Awesomeness: May 11-13, June 22-24, and July 21-28". LessWrong. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- "Articles of Incorporation Of Feynman Foundation" (PDF). Retrieved July 9, 2017.
- "Center for Applied Rationality Nonprofit IRS Approval" (PDF). Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- Louie Helm (May 8, 2012). "Machine Intelligence Research Institute Progress Report, April 2012". Machine Intelligence Research Institute. Retrieved June 30, 2017.
- "CFAR news (@CFARnews)". Twitter. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- "MIRI Summer Fellows 2015". CFAR. June 21, 2015. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- Anna Salamon (April 28, 2015). "CFAR-run MIRI Summer Fellows program: July 7-26". LessWrong. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- "Center for Applied Rationality — General Support". Open Philanthropy Project. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
We have some doubts about CFAR's management and operations, and we see CFAR as having made only limited improvements over the last two years, with the possible exception of running the MIRI Summer Fellows Program in 2015, which we understand to have been relatively successful at recruiting staff for MIRI.
- "Center for Applied Rationality — SPARC". Open Philanthropy Project. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- "Center for Applied Rationality — General Support". Open Philanthropy Project. Retrieved July 11, 2017.