Timeline of Neuralink
This is a timeline of Neuralink.
|Time period||Development summary|
|2017||Neuralink is announced publicly.|
|Year||Month and date||Event type||Details|
|2016||July 11||Launch||Neurlaink is founded.|
|2017||January||Elon Musk buys the name Neuralink to a pair of neurotechnology researchers that owned the trademark on "NeuraLink" since 2015 after creating their own startup company.|
|2017||February||Neuralink executive Jared Birchall submits a letter to the city of San Francisco's planning department giving some clues about the company’s plans and files permit to build biological research lab.|
|2017||March 28||Elon Musk confirms the existence of Neuralink, and reveals that a longer story about Neuralink would appear on explainer website Wait But Why in a week.|
|2017||April 20||Wait But Why editor Tim Urban posts the first deep look at Neuralink, after Musk petition from about a month and a half before. Musk confirms plans for the company, revealing he will be the chief executive of a startup that aims to merge computers with brains so humans could one day engage in “consensual telepathy.”|
|2017||July 19||Elon Musk talks about Neuralink in an interview at the ISS R&D Conference in Washington, DC., and says the reason he went to create Neuralink was primarily as an offset to the existencial risk associated with artificial intelligence.|
|2017||February||Notable comment||Elon Musk claims “that people would need to become cyborgs to be relevant in an artificial intelligence age.“|
|2018||May||Neuralink agrees to fund primate research at the University of California. The company i expected to pay US$796,006 for research conducted at UC Davis' California National Primate Research Center, one of seven centers nationwide dedicated to the study of health and disease on primates.|
|2018||November||In an interview with podcaster Joe Rogan, Elon Musk says Neuralink aspires to symbiotically merge human brains with a super digital intelligence that will serve as a tertiary cognition layer augmenting the human cortex and limbic systems.|
|2018||November 26||Elon Musk tweets mentioning Neuralink for the first time in 20 months, inviting people to apply for jobs at the firm alongside three of his other companies.|
|2019||July||Growth||Neuralink cumulates US$158 million in funding (of which $100 million comes from Musk) and employs a staff of 90 employees.|
|2020||Clinical trial||According to July 19 Elon Musk's report, Neuralink human test of brain-computer interface could start around this year.|
Meta information on the timeline
How the timeline was built
The initial version of the timeline was written by User:Sebastian.
Funding information for this timeline is available.
Feedback and comments
Feedback for the timeline can be provided at the following places:
What the timeline is still missing
Timeline update strategy
- "Neuralink". crunchbase.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Meet the Guys Who Sold "Neuralink" to Elon Musk without Even Realizing It". technologyreview.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Elon Musk's Neuralink files permit to build biological research lab". teslarati.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Neuralink". witter.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- Constine, Josh. "Elon Musk's brain interface startup Neuralink files $27M fundraise". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Neuralink and the Brain's Magical Future". waitbutwhy.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Elon Musk Lays Out Plans to Meld Brains and Computers". wsj.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Elon Musk - A.I., Biology, Neuralink". youtube.com. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- Isackson, Peter. "The Daily Devil's Dictionary: Will "Everyone" Benefit?". fairobserver.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Elon Musk says plan to merge humans with machines is aimed at stopping a 'Terminator'-style scenario". cnbc.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Neuralink Is Funding Primate Research at the University of California". gizmodo.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Neuralink - UC Davis Primate Center - Services Agreement". scribd.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Elon Musk on Joe Rogan - what is Neuralink". youtube.com. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- "Elon Musk's Neuralink Plans to Put Chips in Human Brains by 2020". syncedreview.com. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- "Elon Musk Breaks Twitter Silence on Secretive A.I.-Brain Firm Neuralink". inverse.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Neuralink". twitter.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- Markoff, John (2019-07-16). "Elon Musk's Company Takes Baby Steps to Wiring Brains to the Internet". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-07-17.
- "Elon Musk says Neuralink plans 2020 human test of brain-computer interface". cnet.com. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- "Elon Musk's Neuralink targets human trials for brain-machine interface in 2020". teslarati.com. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- "Elon Musk Plans to Start Putting Chips in Human Brains Next Year". highsnobiety.com. Retrieved 1 August 2019.