Timeline of Neuralink
This is a timeline of Neuralink.
|Time period||Development summary|
|2017||Neuralink is announced publicly.|
|Year||Month and date||Event type||Details|
|2009||Prelude||American inventor Raymond Kurzweil that by 2020 we’ll have "computers that are powerful enough to simulate the human brain. However, we won’t be finished yet with reverse engineering the human brain and understanding its methods".|
|2011||Competition||Emotiv is founded as a US-based bioinformatics company which works in understanding the human brain using electroencephalography (EEG). It is listed among the top Neuralink competitors.|
|2015||Competition||BrainCo is founded. The company develops brain-machine interface (BMI) technology products including sensors, hardware, software, and AI. It is listed among the top Neuralink competitors.|
|2016||July 11||Launch||Neurlaink is founded.|
|2016||Competition||Kernel is founded. It builds advanced neural interfaces to treat disease, illuminate the mechanisms of intelligence, and extend cognition. It is listed among the top Neuralink competitors.|
|2017||January||Elon Musk buys the name Neuralink to a pair of neurotechnology researchers that owned the trademark on "NeuraLink" since 2015 after creating their own startup company.|
|2017||February||Neuralink executive Jared Birchall submits a letter to the city of San Francisco's planning department giving some clues about the company’s plans and files permit to build biological research lab.|
|2017||March 28||Elon Musk confirms the existence of Neuralink, and reveals that a longer story about Neuralink would appear on explainer website Wait But Why in a week.|
|2017||April 20||Wait But Why editor Tim Urban posts the first deep look at Neuralink, after Musk petition from about a month and a half before. Musk confirms plans for the company, revealing he will be the chief executive of a startup that aims to merge computers with brains so humans could one day engage in “consensual telepathy.”|
|2017||July 19||Elon Musk talks about Neuralink in an interview at the ISS R&D Conference in Washington, DC., and says the reason he went to create Neuralink was primarily as an offset to the existencial risk associated with artificial intelligence.|
|2017||February||Notable comment||Elon Musk claims “that people would need to become cyborgs to be relevant in an artificial intelligence age.“|
|2018||March||At a South by Southwest tech conference in Austin, Texas, Elon Musk calls AI more dangerous than nuclear warheads and says there needs to be a regulatory body overseeing the development of super intelligence.|
|2018||May||Neuralink agrees to fund primate research at the University of California. The company i expected to pay US$796,006 for research conducted at UC Davis' California National Primate Research Center, one of seven centers nationwide dedicated to the study of health and disease on primates.|
|2018||November||In an interview with podcaster Joe Rogan, Elon Musk says Neuralink aspires to symbiotically merge human brains with a super digital intelligence that will serve as a tertiary cognition layer augmenting the human cortex and limbic systems.|
|2018||November||In an interview, Elon Musk hints that Neuralink would first introduce microcontrollers to further advance computer-brain interface technology, i.e., possibly unveiling an initial version of what will eventually become a “neural lace.”|
|2018||November 26||Elon Musk tweets mentioning Neuralink for the first time in 20 months, inviting people to apply for jobs at the firm alongside three of his other companies.|
|2019||July 16||Elon Musk and Neuralink president Max Hodak host a presentation of the company in San Francisco, informing publicly on the latest news about the technology.|
|2019||July||Growth||Neuralink cumulates US$158 million in funding (of which $100 million comes from Musk) and employs a staff of 90 employees.|
|2020||Clinical trial||According to July 19 Elon Musk's report, Neuralink human test of brain-computer interface could start around this year.|
|2029||According to 2009 Raymond Kurzweil prediction, by this "scientists will have reverse-engineered, modeled and simulated all the regions of the brain. That will provide humans with the software and algorithmic methods to simulate all of the human brain's capabilities including the emotional intelligence."|
Meta information on the timeline
How the timeline was built
The initial version of the timeline was written by User:Sebastian.
Funding information for this timeline is available.
Feedback and comments
Feedback for the timeline can be provided at the following places:
What the timeline is still missing
Timeline update strategy
- "Ray Kurzweil: The Coming Singularity". youtube.com. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- "Emotiv". crunchbase.com. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- "Neuralink". crunchbase.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Meet the Guys Who Sold "Neuralink" to Elon Musk without Even Realizing It". technologyreview.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Elon Musk's Neuralink files permit to build biological research lab". teslarati.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Neuralink". witter.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- Constine, Josh. "Elon Musk's brain interface startup Neuralink files $27M fundraise". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Neuralink and the Brain's Magical Future". waitbutwhy.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Elon Musk Lays Out Plans to Meld Brains and Computers". wsj.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Elon Musk - A.I., Biology, Neuralink". youtube.com. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- Isackson, Peter. "The Daily Devil's Dictionary: Will "Everyone" Benefit?". fairobserver.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Elon Musk says plan to merge humans with machines is aimed at stopping a 'Terminator'-style scenario". cnbc.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Elon Musk: 'Mark my words — A.I. is far more dangerous than nukes'". cnbc.com. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- "Neuralink Is Funding Primate Research at the University of California". gizmodo.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Neuralink - UC Davis Primate Center - Services Agreement". scribd.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Elon Musk on Joe Rogan - what is Neuralink". youtube.com. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- "Elon Musk's Neuralink Plans to Put Chips in Human Brains by 2020". syncedreview.com. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- "Elon Musk's Neuralink to livestream special project update on July 16". teslarati.com. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- "ELON MUSK LATEST INTERVIEW WITH AXIOS 25 NOVEMBER". youtube.com. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- "Elon Musk Breaks Twitter Silence on Secretive A.I.-Brain Firm Neuralink". inverse.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Neuralink". twitter.com. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Elon Musk's Neuralink Presentation: Live Recap of What Happened". heavy.com. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- Markoff, John (2019-07-16). "Elon Musk's Company Takes Baby Steps to Wiring Brains to the Internet". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-07-17.
- "Elon Musk says Neuralink plans 2020 human test of brain-computer interface". cnet.com. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- "Elon Musk's Neuralink targets human trials for brain-machine interface in 2020". teslarati.com. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- "Elon Musk Plans to Start Putting Chips in Human Brains Next Year". highsnobiety.com. Retrieved 1 August 2019.