Timeline of OpenAI
This is a timeline of OpenAI.
|Time period||Development summary||More details|
|Year||Month and date||Event type||Details|
|2017||April 6||"Learning to Generate Reviews and Discovering Sentiment" is published.|
|2017||August 12||OpenAI's Dota 2 bot beats the world's best human professional players in one-on-one battles.|
|2018||February 20||Publication||The report "The Malicious Use of Artificial Intelligence: Forecasting, Prevention, and Mitigation" is published. The report forecasts malicious use of artificial intelligence in the short term and makes recommendations on how to mitigate these risks from AI. The report is authored by individuals at Future of Humanity Institute, Centre for the Study of Existential Risk, OpenAI, Electronic Frontier Foundation, Center for a New American Security, and other institutions.|
|2018||February 20||OpenAI announces changes in donors and advisors. New donors are: Jed McCaleb, Gabe Newell, Michael Seibel, Jaan Tallinn, and Ashton Eaton and Brianne Theisen-Eaton. Reid Hoffman is "significantly increasing his contribution". Pieter Abbeel (previously at OpenAI), Julia Galef, and Maran Nelson become advisors. Elon Musk departs the board but remains as a donor and advisor.|
|2018||March 3||OpenAI will host a hackathon.|
Meta information on the timeline
How the timeline was built
The initial version of the timeline was written by Issa Rice.
Funding information for this timeline is available.
What the timeline is still missing
Timeline update strategy
- John Mannes (April 7, 2017). "OpenAI sets benchmark for sentiment analysis using an efficient mLSTM". TechCrunch. Retrieved March 2, 2018.
- Jordan Crook (August 12, 2017). "OpenAI bot remains undefeated against world's greatest Dota 2 players". TechCrunch. Retrieved March 2, 2018.
- "[1802.07228] The Malicious Use of Artificial Intelligence: Forecasting, Prevention, and Mitigation". Retrieved February 24, 2018.
- "Preparing for Malicious Uses of AI". OpenAI Blog. February 21, 2018. Retrieved February 24, 2018.
- Malicious AI Report. "The Malicious Use of Artificial Intelligence". Malicious AI Report. Retrieved February 24, 2018.
- "OpenAI Supporters". OpenAI Blog. February 21, 2018. Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- "OpenAI Hackathon". OpenAI Blog. February 24, 2018. Retrieved March 1, 2018.