Timeline of contact tracing in the COVID-19 pandemic
This is a timeline of FIXME.
The following are some interesting questions that can be answered by reading this timeline:
|Time period||Development summary||More details|
|Year||Month and date||Event type||Details||Location|
|2020||February 11||"China launches coronavirus 'close contact detector' app”|
|2020||February||PathCheck "Founded at MIT in the research group of Prof. Ramesh Raskar, PathCheck Foundation is 501(c)3 charitable organization dedicated to creating healthy and resilient communities by containing the pandemic, revitalizing the economy, and preserving the privacy of individual citizens. " "PathCheck was founded in February, 2020, at MIT by a passionate community of people and organizations to contain the spread of COVID-19 and help revitalize economies without sacrificing personal privacy. We’ve been pioneers in digital contact tracing and exposure notification technology. Their original technology was based on the MIT Private Kit"|
|2020||March 11||Background||"The World Health Organization (WHO) to declare a pandemic on March 11, 2020"|
|2020||March 12||Public Health England stops performing contact tracing, as widespread infections overwhelm capacity.||England|
|2020||March 20||"Singapore launches contact tracing mobile app to track coronavirus infections" "E: A new mobile application called TraceTogether was launched on Friday (Mar 20) to support ongoing contact tracing efforts amid the COVID-19 outbreak in Singapore."||Singapore|
|2020||March 25||Stopp Corona App||Austria|
|2020||April 1||Pan-European Privacy-Preserving Proximity Tracing|
|2020||April 2||Aarogya Setu||India|
|2020||April 4||Decentralized Privacy-Preserving Proximity Tracing|
|2020||April 14||digital contact tracing||COVIDSafe||Australia|
|2020||April 16||Whisper Tracing Protocol|
|2020||April 16||"The team behind Nodle.io, an Internet of Things (IoT) connectivity and security startup, today announces the launch of Coalition, a free, privacy-first contact tracing app to help stop the spread of COVID-19. "|
|2020||May 14||"India launches contact-tracing app for JioPhones in virus battle”|
|2020||May 20||NZ COVID Tracer|
|2020||May 20||Exposure Notification|
|2020||May 28||NHS Test and Trace||England|
|2020||May 29||Apturi Covid||Latvia|
|2020||May||"In May 2020, Serco accidentally shared the personal email addresses of nearly 300 trainee COVID-19 contact tracers."|
|2020||June 5||"The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has revealed that it has developed a Covid-19 contact-tracing application that will be deployed in all its locations across the country”|
|2020||June 9||ProteGO Safe||Poland|
|2020||June 9||"Pakistan's Covid-19 App Becomes Laughing Stock as it Fails at Contact Tracing, Privacy”|
|2020||June 10||"French hacker claims Pakistan's covid-19 contact tracing app reveals patients' locations, govt denies claims”|
|2020||June 15||Coronavirus UY||Uruguay|
|2020||June 16||digital contact tracing||Corona-Warn-App “ Germany launches 'best' coronavirus tracing app”||Germany|
|2020||June 18||BEAT Covid Gibraltar.||Gibraltar|
|2020||June 30||Healthy Together|
|2020||June 30||Radar COVID||Spain|
|2020||July 7||COVID Tracker Ireland||Ireland|
|2020||July 30||StopCOVID NI||Northern Ireland|
|2020||July 31||COVID Alert||Canada|
|2020||August 5||"Brazil integrates Apple-Google exposure notification tech into coronavirus app”|
|2020||August 13||Care19 Alert||North Dakota|
|2020||August 14||Care19 Alert||Wyoming|
|2020||August 19||Covid Watch||Arizona|
|2020||August 31||Koronavilkku "The Koronavilkku smartphone app has now been published to help break infection chains. You can now download Koronavilkku to your phone free of charge from the most popular app stores." "“The Koronavilkku mobile app is part of the Government's test, trace, isolate and treat strategy. The app makes it more efficient to reach people exposed to the virus and refer them to treatment. This way, infection chains can also be broken more efficiently”, says Kirsi Varhila, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health." ||Finland|
|2020||September 1||COVID Alert SA "Now you can, by downloading and using the COVID Alert SA app, the South African government’s official Bluetooth contact-tracing app. It’s built on the Apple–Google Exposure Notifications application programmable interface (API). User privacy and security are at the core of the design. Anyone in South Africa who has a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone can access this app."||South Africa|
|2020||September 1||STAYAWAY COVID||Portugal|
|2020||September 10||Guam Covid Alert "Guam is the first U.S. Territory to launch an exposure notification app developed by engineers with Apple, Google, and the PathCheck Foundation that uses Bluetooth technology for digital contact tracing." ||Guam|
|2020||September 11||Protect Scotland "It became available to download free on to a smart phone from Apple's App Store or Google Play on Thursday. The Protect Scotland app lets people know if they have been in close contact with someone who later tests positive. The Scottish government has said the software will support the Test and Protect system and is "another tool in the fight against Covid-19"."||Scotland|
|2020||September 15||COVID Alert DE "Gov. John Carney, the Delaware Department of Health and Social Services, and the Delaware Department of Technology and Information on Sept. 15 launched COVID Alert DE – a mobile app available in the App Store or Google Play that will help Delaware fight community spread of COVID-19. "||United States (Delaware)|
|2020||September 17||eRouška (eMask) ||Czech Republic|
|2020||September 22||SlowCOVIDNC ||North Carolina|
|2020||September 24||NHS COVID-19 "NHS coronavirus app to launch in England and Wales on 24 September"|
|2020||September 24||COVID Alert PA ||Pennsylvania|
|2020||October 1||"Governor Phil Murphy and New York Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced the launch of COVID-19 exposure notification mobile apps in their respective states that will serve as crucial tools to supplement the effort to trace and contact individuals subject to a COVID exposure. The apps, COVID Alert NJ and COVID Alert NY, notify users of potential COVID-19 exposure while maintaining user privacy and security. With today’s launch, New Jersey and New York join Pennsylvania and Delaware in creating a regional COVID Alert app network that operates across state lines to stop the spread of COVID-19. Connecticut has also announced it will launch an app in the near future using the same technology."|
|2020||October 14||Jersey COVID Alert||Jersey|
|2020||October 25||CO Exposure Notifications||Colorado|
|2020||November 9||MI COVID Alert " Michigan launched the statewide rollout of a voluntary, free coronavirus app Monday, Nov. 9, 2020. The app notifies users if they have potentially been in close contact with infected people."||Michigan|
|2020||November 10||"The Maryland Department of Health (MDH) today announced the launch of MD COVID Alert, the official COVID-19 Exposure Notifications Express system of Maryland. MD COVID Alert uses Bluetooth Low Energy technology to quickly notify users who might have been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19 with the goal of reducing infections in Maryland."|
|2020||November 11||Aloha Safe Alert||Hawaii|
|2020||November 12||COVID Alert CT||Connecticut|
|2020||November 30||WA Notify||Washington (state)|
Meta information on the timeline
How the timeline was built
The initial version of the timeline was written by FIXME.
Funding information for this timeline is available.
Feedback and comments
Feedback for the timeline can be provided at the following places:
What the timeline is still missing
Timeline update strategy
- "China launches coronavirus 'close contact detector' app". BBC News. 11 February 2020. Retrieved 19 January 2021.
- "PATHCHECK FOUNDATION". okosvaros.lechnerkozpont.hu. Retrieved 16 January 2021.
- "PathCheck". pathcheck.org. Retrieved 16 January 2021.
- "Digital contact-tracing during the Covid-19 pandemic: an analysis of newspaper coverage in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland" (PDF). medrxiv.org. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- Tapper, James (6 December 2020). "Recruit volunteer army to trace Covid-19 contacts now, urge top scientists". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 18 April 2020.
- Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Citation/CS1/Suggestions' not found.
- "Singapore launches contact tracing mobile app to track coronavirus infections". arabnews.com. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "Singapore launches TraceTogether mobile app to boost COVID-19 contact tracing efforts". channelnewsasia.com. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- "European experts ready smartphone technology to help stop coronavirus". reuters.com. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "Government of India launches ArogyaSetu App to track Covid 19 infection" (PDF). aarogyasetu.gov.in. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "Initial commit". github.com. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "Coronavirus lockdowns could end in months if Australians are willing to have their movements monitored". abc.net.au. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "Sobre Aplicaciones de Seguimiento de Contagios COVID - 19" (PDF). fundacionled.org. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "Nodle Launches Coalition, a Free, Privacy-First Contact Tracing App to Help Stop The Spread of COVID-19". apnews.com. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- Staff, Reuters (14 May 2020). "India launches contact-tracing app for JioPhones in virus battle". Reuters. Retrieved 19 January 2021.
- "NZ COVID Tracer app released to support contact tracing". health.govt.nz. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "COVID-19 exposure notification settings begin to go live for iOS users with new update". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "NHS Test and Trace: the journey so far". health.org.uk. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "Latvia launches the first publicly available contact tracing app". labsoflatvia.com. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- Hawkins, Ross (20 May 2020). "Coronavirus: Serco apologises for sharing contact tracers' email addresses". BBC News.
- "IMMUNI APP available for downloading on the APPLE and GOOGLE stores". innovazione.gov.it. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "NNPC Develops Covid-19 Contact Tracing App". www.rigzone.com. Retrieved 20 January 2021.
- "Poland Rolls Out Privacy-Secure Coronavirus Tracking App". usnews.com. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "Pakistan's Covid-19 App Becomes Laughing Stock as it Fails at Contact Tracing, Privacy". News18. 9 June 2020. Retrieved 20 January 2021.
- "French hacker claims Pakistan's COVID-19 contact tracing app reveals patients' locations, govt denies claims- Technology News, Firstpost". Tech2. 10 June 2020. Retrieved 20 January 2021.
- [Das küßte mich auf deutsch und sprach auf deutsch "Queda operativa hoy app que advierte si estuviste cerca de una persona con COVID-19 y lo notificó"] Check
|url=value (help). elpais.com.uy. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "Germany launches 'best' coronavirus tracing app". dw.com. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- Welle (www.dw.com), Deutsche. "Germany launches 'best' coronavirus tracing app | DW | 16.06.2020". DW.COM. Retrieved 19 January 2021.
- "Danish COVID-19 infection tracing app (Smitte". oecd-opsi.org. Retrieved 6 December 2020. Text "stop) " ignored (help)
- "Beat Covid Gibraltar App - 409/2020". gibraltar.gov.gi. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "Effectiveness of the COVID-19 Contact-Confirming Application (COCOA) based on a Multi Agent Simulation". arxiv.org. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "careFIJI COVID-19 tracing app now available to download". fijivillage.com. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "SwissCovid app available from 25 June". bag.admin.ch. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "Contact tracing through Healthy Together App now fully functional". kutv.com. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "Así es Radar COVID, la aplicación de rastreo de contactos de coronavirus española". hipertextual.com. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "Coronavirus: 1 Death From Covid-19 In Ireland Today". midlands103.com. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "Covid-19: Tracing app is released for NI". bbc.com. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "Positive test but no code to enter into COVID Alert exposure app? We want to hear from you". ctvnews.ca. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "COVIDWISE Exposure Notification App Launced to Help Contain COVID-19". vdh.virginia.gov. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- Mari, Angelica. "Brazil integrates Apple-Google exposure notification tech into coronavirus app". ZDNet. Retrieved 20 January 2021.
- "North Dakota announces launch of Care19 Alert app to help reduce spread of COVID-19 as students return". governor.nd.gov. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "Wyoming launches COVID-19 exposure notification app "Care19 Alert"". wyo4news.com. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "Alabama launches statewide coronavirus tracking app". al.com. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "UA Launches 'Covid Watch' Virus Notification App". tucsonlocalmedia.com. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "Feature". news.err.ee. Retrieved 6 December 2020. Text " Estonia launches coronavirus exposure notification app 'HOIA' " ignored (help)
- "Koronavilkku has now been published - download the app to your phone!". thl.fi. Retrieved 16 January 2021.
- "The Finnish Covid-19 app Koronavilkku has now been published – download the app to your phone!". solita.fi. Retrieved 16 January 2021.
- "Download the app – Every COVID Alert SA app download means more lives saved in SA". sacoronavirus.co.za. Retrieved 16 January 2021.
- "COVID-19 Alert: South Africa to Move to Level 1 Restrictions from Sept. 21". worldaware.com. Retrieved 16 January 2021.
- "StayAway Covid". sns.gov.pt. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "Guam launches COVID Alert mobile app to aid contact tracing efforts". pncguam.com. Retrieved 16 January 2021.
- "Guam Covid Alert". guamcovidalert.guam.gov. Retrieved 16 January 2021.
- "Scotland's Covid contact tracing app downloaded more than 600,000 times". bbc.com. Retrieved 16 January 2021.
- "State of Delaware Launches COVID Alert DE Mobile App". news.delaware.gov. Retrieved 16 January 2021.
- "State of Delaware launches COVID Alert DE mobile app". capegazette.com. Retrieved 16 January 2021.
- "Chráním sebe, chráním tebe!". erouska.cz. Retrieved 16 January 2021.
- "eRouška 2.0: Co to je, jak se používá a proč se nemusíte bát o soukromí". mobilmania.cz. Retrieved 16 January 2021.
- "Coronavirus Today – Sep 22 – Large stadiums and return of fans; Governor would take vaccine; SlowCOVIDNC app launched". northcarolinahealthnews.org. Retrieved 16 January 2021.
- "The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services launches SlowCOVIDNC exposure notification app". unc.edu. Retrieved 16 January 2021.
- "NHS coronavirus app to launch in England and Wales on 24 September". theguardian.com. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- "More Than 50,000 People Download COVID Alert PA App". pittsburgh.cbslocal.com. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- "'Coronalert': how Belgium's coronavirus tracing app works". brusselstimes.com. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- "Governor Murphy and Governor Cuomo Launch Exposure Notification Apps to Help Stop the Spread of Covid-19". nj.gov. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- "Dutch coronavirus app rolls out nationally Oct. 10 after months of talks". nltimes.nl. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- "Covid: Jersey launches contact tracing app". bbc.com. Retrieved 16 January 2021.
- "CO Exposure Notification Technology Goes Live Today". colorado.gov. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- "COVID-19 Alert App notifies users if they have been in close contact with infected people". wwmt.com. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- "Maryland Department of Health launches MD COVID Alert". health.maryland.gov. Retrieved 17 January 2021.