Timeline of cryptocurrencies
This is a timeline of cryptocurrencies.
The following are some interesting questions that can be answered by reading this timeline:
|Time period||Development summary||More details|
|Year||Month and date||Ecosystem||Event type||Details|
|2004||"the idea behind the Ripple (XRP) payment platform was first voiced in 2004 by Ryan Fugger"|
|2009||January 9||Currency release||Bitcoin (BTC) 0.1.0 is released.|
|2011||October 7||Currency release||Litecoin is released.|
|2013||December||Open-source digital currency Dogecoin (DOGE) is forked from Litecoin. "Dogecoin (DOGE) is based on the popular "doge" Internet meme and features a Shiba Inu on its logo. The open-source digital currency was created by Billy Markus from Portland, Oregon and Jackson Palmer from Sydney, Australia, and was forked from Litecoin in December 2013. Dogecoin's creators envisaged it as a fun, light-hearted cryptocurrency that would have greater appeal beyond the core Bitcoin audience, since it was based on a dog meme. Tesla CEO Elon Musk posted several tweets on social media that Dogecoin is his favorite coin."|
|2014||July||Stablecoin Tether (USDT) is launched by Brock Pierce, Reeve Collins and Craig Sellars, originally launched as a Realcoin. It mirrors the price of the U.S. dollar, and is issued by a Hong Kong-based company Tether.|
|2014||July 15||Filecoin (FIL) is initially released.|
|2014||July 31||Network system Stellar (XLM) is launched by Jed McCaleb, the founder of Mt. Gox and co-founder of Ripple.|
|2014||April||Monero (XMR) is launched, with the goal to "allow transactions to take place privately and with anonymity."|
|2016||June||VeChain (VET) launches.|
|2017||July 7||Security||“One of the Biggest Ethereum and Bitcoin Exchanges Got Hacked” |
|2017||September 27||Cardano (ADA) is released. "Launched in 2017 by one of Ethereum’s co-founders, Cardano is a research-driven proof-of-stake blockchain designed for running smart contracts and building decentralized applications. It consumes less energy than proof-of-work blockchains and already has some interesting use cases. The project, along with its native cryptocurrency ADA, has generated enthusiasm in the community, which can be seen at times in its price history."|
|2017||October||Blockchain platform||Polygon (MATIC) is launched.|
|2017||?||"BNB was launched through an initial coin offering in 2017, 11 days before the Binance cryptocurrency exchange went online"|
|2018||April 29||The Nexo platform is launched, offering the world’s first instant crypto-backed loans.|
|2018||August||Exchange||BitMax (later AscendEX) is launched.|
|2018||November 2||Decentralized finance||Decentralized trading protocol Uniswap (UNI) is launched. It is known for its role in facilitating automated trading of decentralized finance (DeFi) tokens.|
|2019||June||The Algorand (ALGO) mainnet becomes live.|
|2020||May 26||The Genesis block of the Polkadot network is launched, as a Proof of Authority (PoA) network.|
|2020||July 30||Elrond (EGLD) launches its mainnet.|
|2021||February 25||The estimated number of global crypto users surpasses 100 million.|
|2021||April 29||Cryptocurrencies hit a valuation of US$2 trillion, about the same valuation as all US dollars in circulation. However, it would since hit as high as $2.25 trillion.|
|2021||May 10||Internet Computer (ICP) genesis.|
Meta information on the timeline
How the timeline was built
The initial version of the timeline was written by User:Sebastian.
Funding information for this timeline is available.
Feedback and comments
Feedback for the timeline can be provided at the following places:
What the timeline is still missing
- A column for ecosystem
- Top Cryptocurrency Spot Exchanges
- Category:Digital currency exchanges
Timeline update strategy
- "XRP price today, XRP live marketcap, chart, and info". CoinMarketCap. Retrieved 11 April 2021.
- "Dogecoin price today, DOGE live marketcap, chart, and info". CoinMarketCap. Retrieved 11 April 2021.
- "Tether price today, USDT live marketcap, chart, and info". CoinMarketCap. Retrieved 11 April 2021.
- "Filecoin: A Cryptocurrency Operated File Storage Network" (PDF). filecoin.io. Retrieved 4 June 2021.
- "Everything you need to know about Stellar Lumens". Abra. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "About Monero". getmonero.org, The Monero Project. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "Monero price today, XMR live marketcap, chart, and info". CoinMarketCap. Retrieved 11 April 2021.
- "VeChain price today, VET live marketcap, chart, and info". CoinMarketCap. Retrieved 19 April 2021.
- "One of the Biggest Ethereum and Bitcoin Exchanges Got Hacked". Fortune. Retrieved 20 February 2021.
- Škraba, Žiga P. "Cardano Price - Live ADA Value Chart & Market Cap ". https://kriptomat.io/. Retrieved 2 May 2021. External link in
- "Polygon price today, MATIC live marketcap, chart, and info". CoinMarketCap. Retrieved 2 June 2021.
- "Binance Coin price today, BNB live marketcap, chart, and info". CoinMarketCap. Retrieved 11 April 2021.
- "Nexo Launches Platform for the World's First Instant Crypto-backed Loans". Medium. 21 September 2020. Retrieved 12 May 2021.
- "Top stories published by AscendEX in October of 2018 – Medium". Medium. Retrieved 26 June 2021.
- "Uniswap (V2) trade volume and market listings". CoinMarketCap. Retrieved 12 May 2021.
- "Uniswap price today, UNI live marketcap, chart, and info". CoinMarketCap. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "Algorand price today, ALGO live marketcap, chart, and info". CoinMarketCap. Retrieved 11 April 2021.
- "Polkadot Launch Phases · Polkadot Wiki". undefined. Retrieved 5 May 2021.
- "Elrond (eGLD) Review: Still Worth It? This You NEED To KNOW!!". Coin Bureau. 7 February 2021. Retrieved 6 May 2021.
- GmbH, finanzen net. "The estimated number of global crypto users has passed 100 million - and boomers are now getting drawn to bitcoin too, reports find". markets.businessinsider.com. Retrieved 6 May 2021.
- "Cryptocurrency Is Now Worth More Than All US Currency in Circulation". Futurism. Retrieved 12 May 2021.
- "Internet Computer price today, ICP live marketcap, chart, and info". CoinMarketCap. Retrieved 29 May 2021.